Mature students



Many people choose to retrain and change career at different points in their lives or enhance their career prospects in their current role. Mature students are represented across all of our academic facilities. If you have any concerns about the prospect of retraining we’re here to help.


A group of students are sitting together outside the Hive drinking coffee

For our undergraduate courses, most of our mature student applicants apply to us through the . Please view our web pages on what happens to your application for an overview of the process. You can apply for up to five courses within one UCAS application.

You apply directly to the 桔子短视频 for all taught postgraduate and Postgraduate Certificate programmes and there is more information available on our dedicated postgraduate application webpages.


Making your undergraduate application

When making an application through UCAS you will be asked to supply certain supporting statements including your education history, a personal statement, and a reference.

Before you apply

  • Our course specific web pages have details of the UCAS points and qualifications required for each course. You can use our course search to find a course that is relevant to your interests.
  • At Worcester, we understand that life experience can be an invaluable asset to your study so if you are unsure as to whether you meet certain requirements you can email the Admissions Tutor for your chosen course to discuss your options.


Personal statements

The personal statement is a piece of academic writing of around 650 words in length. Your personal statement is an opportunity to show off your suitability for your chosen courses. You can only include one personal statement in your UCAS application, and it will be used for all of the courses you apply for.

Your personal statement should contain information on relevant academic study, including any wider reading, and your insight into the degree you wish to study.

As a mature student, you can use your personal statement to mention any alternative entry requirements you’ve used in your application and demonstrate your existing skills, why the course interests you, and relevant real life or work experience.

There is excellent information on writing personal statements on the including a to help with the process.


As part of the application process you will be asked to provide a reference. If you are currently in education, it is likely that a Course Leader or Head Teacher will provide a reference for you. If you are applying independently, then an employer, volunteering supervisor or trainer can write your reference for you. It is important not to use a friend or family member for your reference.

You will provide you referee’s details as part of your UCAS application. UCAS will email your referee directly with a link and password to the reference page and ask them to confirm their identity before submitting a reference. It is a good idea to give your referee plenty of time to submit their reference for you. Details of what the reference should contain and the process are available on the




As a mature student, you  have access to all of our support, guidance and extra curricular activities. Our primary point of contact for all support queries is our firstpoint desk.


The firstpoint team are located on the ground floor of the Peirson Study and Guidance Centre, on the St John’s campus. They are able to signpost you to different student welfare teams as well as offer advice on University procedures. For opening times please see our . Firstpoint can assist you with:

  • Careers & employability service
  • Chaplaincy
  • Complaints
  • Counselling & mental health
  • Disability & dyslexia service
  • Making the most of university
  • Money advice
  • Student support & wellbeing
  • Study skills


Personal Academic Tutor

All undergraduate students are provided with an appointed Personal Academic Tutor (PAT). Your Personal Academic Tutor is usually a member of academic staff that teaches on your course and they remain with you throughout time at university. They are here to offer academic guidance and advice where necessary and help to ease your transition into higher education.

You are normally advised to meet your Personal Academic Tutor within the first couple of weeks of your course, as part of your induction. You can expect a minimum of four scheduled meetings during your first year, either as a tutorial group or on an individual basis. You can find out more information about this scheme by visiting our Personal Academic Tutor webpages.

Caring for other family members or friends

If you care for an adult family member or friend, you may wish to talk to your local authority Social Services department. They are required by Law to carry out a ‘carer assessment’, which looks at your needs as a carer, as well as the needs of the person you care for.

If your needs change as a result of becoming a student (full-time or part-time), they will take this into account. Services such as respite care (a break from caring, for example around exam times) may be possible.

The , run by the Students’ Union can also offer support and advice for students who are studying with increased responsibilities.

The Students' Union

The Students’ Union (SU) is an independent charity, devoted to the educational interests and welfare of all of our students.

The SU offers representation and advice to students as well as opportunities to volunteer, join clubs and societies, become a course rep and access the . You can find out more about the Students’ Union on the

Fees and funding for mature students

Financing your studies may seem complicated at first, but we’ve put together some information to help make things clear.

A degree from Worcester is a great investment in your future. It’s important to take the time to find out about the cost of living and studying here, so you know what to expect. There is plenty of help available and changes to the student loan system means that part-time students can more easily access funds.


Costs and Grants

For most students, there are government loans available to pay your fees and to help with your living costs, which are repayable once you have graduated and are earning over a minimum amount. You will also need to consider other expenses such as living costs, accommodation fees and study materials.

The University also offers a limited Access to Learning Fund and Scholarships based on specific criteria.

For more information on finances whilst at University please visit our Figure out Finances section.

You can also contact the  team via

Financial Support for Healthcare students

From September 2020 students studying Nursing BSc, Midwifery BSc, Physiotherapy BSc, Occupational Therapy BSc and Paramedic Science BSc will receive a non-repayable and non-means-tested payment of at least £5,000 a year, in addition to existing mainstream student support.

This funding is made available by the government. Students are advised to check the latest information from the government to confirm their eligibility. Further details on this scheme can be found on our Financial Support for Healthcare Students webpages.


Accommodation for mature students

Finding the right student accommodation is  an important part of your university experience. There are several options to choose from and our Accommodation Team and the are able to offer help and advice.


On campus accommodation

Many students choose to live at home while they study in order to save money, or to be with their families. Some mature students do choose to live in university accommodation and the 桔子短视频 has a great variety of halls, including specially designated postgraduate houses.

The University guarantees accommodation for all new, first-year undergraduates, provided they have firmly accepted their place by the UCAS deadline. For further information, visit our accommodation pages.

Private rented accommodation

If you’re a mature student and wish to live in private accommodation, the Accommodation Office can help you with information and advice. The University is located in a pleasant and friendly Worcester suburb, not far from the city centre, with plenty of private options available.