As a Worcester student you have a range of options to study abroad on exchange at one of our international partner universities. 

Studying abroad is an exciting time of discovery. You'll experience new cultures, make friends from all over the world and learn a huge amount about yourself. It also looks great on your CV. 

Less than 5% of UK students study abroad as part of their degree. This kind of experience puts you among an elite group of enterprising students.  

Study on exchange options 

Semester abroad 

You can spend a semester of year two at one of our partner universities. This semester will serve as a replacement semester. You will take modules that fulfil and complement your usual degree requirements. You will pay your regular tuition fee to the 桔子短视频.       

Semester one or two may be more suitable for you depending on your course. Your school’s International Coordinator or the International Mobility Team can help you determine which semester will be the best fit for you.

Third year abroad  

You can switch your degree to a four-year degree and spend year three abroad. For this option, you will spend years one, two, and four in Worcester completing your degree requirements. You will spend year three abroad at one of our international partner universities.   

This is an excellent way to expand your experience and skill set. The exact opportunities available are unique to your course. In your application you need to make a proposal of what you intend to do on your Third Year Abroad. It must be approved by both your course leader and/or tutor and the International Mobility Team.  

Your Third Year Abroad tuition fee will only cost you 15% of that year’s tuition fee. For example, if the yearly tuition fee is £9000, you will only pay £1350 for the full year of tuition. 

Study abroad FAQs

Where can I go on study abroad?

Study abroad destinations

The 桔子短视频 provides exciting Study Abroad opportunities in a variety of locations all over the world. It is a good idea to research the partner universities and then discuss the options with the International Mobility Team. 

The school guides below list all of the partner institutions available for each school. Some universities will be more suitable for some courses than others.                                                      

Destination guides                                            

Who is eligible to study abroad or undertake an international placement?

For all international opportunities you must have at least a C average and be in good standing with the university. To be considered for a few partner universities we require you to have a B average. These universities include Brock University, the University of Navarra and the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB).  

All students on three year Bachelors level courses are eligible to undertake an international mobility. Some courses are not eligible for a semester abroad, but students can undertake a Third Year Abroad or attend a summer school. Some courses offer a placement opportunity as well. The eligibility of courses can sometimes change. It is always best to check with the International Mobility Team and your course leader. 

 To avoid jeopardizing professional accreditation, students on accredited courses cannot normally undertake a semester abroad. If you think this applies to you, make contact with the International Mobility Team to explore your options. 

How can I apply to study abroad?

For both a semester abroad and third year abroad, you will have to submit an application and attend an interview. 

Semester Abroad 

  • To spend the spring semester of your second year abroad you the application window opens on 1st February and closes on 31st March. 
  • If you would prefer to spend the first semester of your second year abroad, you must submit your application by the 31st of January instead. 

Year Abroad 

  • Applications for Third Year Abroad must be completed in your second year of study. The application window opens on 1st December and closes on 31st January. 

What costs can I expect?

When you study abroad you continue to pay your tuition fees to the 桔子短视频. You will not pay tuition fees to your host university.   

If you study abroad for a semester, you will pay your usual tuition fee to the 桔子短视频, but simply attend one of our partner universities. 

If you spend a Third Year Abroad, you will also pay your tuition fee directly to the 桔子短视频, but your tuition fee will be reduced to 15% of that year’s tuition fee. 

There will be other costs involved during your study abroad, including: 

  • visa (if necessary) 

  • flights or transport 

  • travel cover 

  • health insurance (compulsory for the USA and Canada) 

  • vaccinations (if necessary) 

  • medical tests (needed by some countries to obtain a visa, such as Japan) 

  • accommodation 

  • meal plan, if in the USA 

  • other non-tuition costs at partner universities  

  • other costs (books, commuting and other general living costs). 

How can I fund my study abroad?

Your tuition loans and maintenance loans or grants from Student Finance England, Wales or Northern Ireland can be used for your study period abroad. The amount of maintenance funding you are eligible for will often increase during your period of study overseas.   

Be sure to check with Student Finance how many years of funding you have remaining. 

Turing Scheme 

The Turing Scheme is the UK’s global programme to study and work abroad. The scheme provides funding for international opportunities in education and training abroad. If you are eligible to receive funding from the Turing programme, we will be in touch with you after you have been accepted into the Study Abroad programme. 

The amount of funding students are entitled to will depend on the cost of living of their host country. To find details of which countries are listed in each group, visit on the Turing website. 

Additional support for those from disadvantaged backgrounds 

The definitions of what constitutes a student from a disadvantaged background used by the Turing Scheme can be found . 

Alongside the higher grant rate, students from disadvantaged backgrounds will also receive funding towards the direct costs of travel, depending on distance between the UK and your destination. You could also be eligible to claim for additional travel expenses, including the costs of visas, passports, and health insurance. 

Additional support for those with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) 

For participants with SEND, the scheme can fund up to 100% of actual costs for support directly related to these additional needs, if these cannot be facilitated by the host institution. For further details regarding this and to discuss your individual situation, please contact  

Travel grant 

The UK government offers a means-tested  to cover airfares and medical insurance, immunisations and visas. The Travel Grant is available to students who have applied for a maintenance loan based on their household income. 

To apply for it you will need to send a Travel Grant Claim Form to SFE, along with evidence of expenditure (receipts/invoices). 

The reimbursement covers reasonable travel expenses and related costs, and the amount reimbursed depends on your household income. Please note the first £303 of travel costs is disregarded, which means this is deducted from the total amount of Travel Grant claimed over the year.  

All reimbursements are at the discretion of SFE. 

There are other UK Student Finance companies offering travel grants with different criteria: 



BUTEX Scholarship   

The 桔子短视频 is a member of the BUTEX network. As a result, students studying at the 桔子短视频 are eligible to apply for a £500 scholarship to support a study abroad period. To find out how to apply, please visit the .   

Budgeting tips for study abroad

Our partner universities’ websites are the best source of information, and you can also speak with students that have studied abroad. Just get in touch with the International Mobility Team to get started. 

Costing comparison websites can also be a good tool to budget how much the cost of living is in a particular city or town. 

Research the destination you want to study at in advance. Factor in estimated expenses, including rent, food, visas, vaccinations, health insurance and travel cover and compare it to your current situation to see where you are at. 

Get in touch with our team for more budgeting tips. 

I am an international student and have a UK visa. Can I study abroad?

You are eligible to study abroad, but will need to research and carefully consider the visa implications and costs. If you are in the UK on a visa, you will need to consult the International Student Team by emailing to seek advice on how studying abroad might impact your UK visa. 

What factors should I think about when choosing a destination?

 You will need to: 

  • Be sure that your chosen destination fits your course needs and learning requirements. 

  • Research the costs involved including living costs at the university and in the city/area, visa fees, health insurance requirements etc. 

  • Research the type of accommodation on offer. Some universities will offer shared dorms (bedrooms). Others might not be able to offer student accommodation but will provide advice on how to find a place to stay. Be sure that you are comfortable with what is on offer.  

  • Public transportation. Some places, particularly in North America or Australia, might have fewer public transportation options than in the UK. Research the city and area you will live in to be sure your expectations are realistic.  

  • Research visa costs and requirements.  

What language will I study in?

All of our partners teach in English and you will take your classes in English. It is certainly encouraged to learn at least the basics of the host language, but it is not required. You will have the opportunity to take language classes at your host university.

Will the modules I take abroad count towards my UW degree?

Semester Abroad 

The semester abroad is a replacement semester and so the credit you gain from our partner university will count towards your UW degree.  However, the credit achieved is either ‘pass’ or ‘fail’; individual grades (A-U) will not be used in the calculation of your degree classification. 

Third Year Abroad 

The Third Year Abroad is an additional year and so the credit you gain from our partner university will not count towards your UW degree.  However, you will receive a transcript from your host university which will be attached to your HEAR (Higher Education Achievement Report).  This is something you can draw to the attention of future employers or show if you apply for a Postgraduate degree. 

Summer Schools 

While some of our partner universities do offer credit bearing summer courses, the credit you gain will normally not count towards your degree but will be additional credit. You will be clearly advised if there is an exception to this rule. 

Where will I live while I’m abroad?

Accommodation options and costs will vary depending on where you choose to study abroad. The majority of our partners will offer university accommodation in halls of residence. Some partners will not be able to offer accommodation in halls, but will provide advice of where and how you can secure accommodation. Sometimes you will have your own bedroom, just as in the UK, but sometimes you will share a bedroom with another student. You should research the accommodation options carefully and be sure you are comfortable with them. 

I have a disability or access 桔子短视频 support services, am I still able to participate?

Yes, of course you are! International experiences are open to all students. Some 桔子短视频 support services will be available to you while you are abroad, while others can be offered to you by your host university.  

 If you access university services or support, you will want to discuss this early in the process with the International Mobility Team and indicate it on your application to ensure everything can be put in place before your departure.  

The International Mobility Team will be in regular contact with you while abroad so that you can get plenty of support and raise any concern with them if necessary.  

How will I be supported by the university?

When you go abroad, you will study at one of our trusted partner universities. We have built relationships with these universities and are in regular contact with their international offices to help coordinate your experience and support your exchange. 

The International Mobility Team will support you throughout your application process both internally and to the partner university.  

Before you travel you will attend a pre-departure session to help you prepare for your experience. It will cover important topics such as the 桔子短视频’s insurance policy, risk assessment, cultural awareness and culture shock.  

You will still be a 桔子短视频 student throughout the whole time you spend studying  abroad and  will be able to access a range of Worcester’s student support services. You will also have access to support services at your host university.  

Will I be insured through the University?

While you are abroad you will be covered by the 桔子短视频’s travel insurance policy, which also includes emergency medical and dental coverage. You will need your own health insurance for routine appointments or prescriptions. You will also need your own travel insurance if you are travelling in countries that are not your host country or for a long duration before or after your study period. 

What will I be responsible for in preparation for and during my mobility period?

To study abroad you will need to: 

  • Complete research on your host university and culture and demonstrate this in your application and interview
  • Speak with the International Mobility Team and your course leader and/or Personal Academic Tutor about your plans
  • Make your own travel, accommodation and visa arrangements, though we are happy to provide advice or help
  • Purchase your own health insurance for non-emergency and routine purposes
  • Check your e-mail regularly, as all vital information will be shared with you by email
  • Complete your required paperwork in a timely manner
  • Represent the 桔子短视频 responsibly and positively while abroad 
  • Communicate any concerns or difficulties as you prepare and while you are abroad, so that we can help in a timely and efficient way 

 Summer school 

 The International Mobility team at Worcester strives to make the Study Abroad program as much accessible and inclusive as possible. We understand there might be many reasons for you not to opt for the long study abroad options such as the semester abroad or the year abroad but that doesn’t mean we haven’t anything to offer! 

 You can attend a summer school at one of our partners or endorsed universities! Summer schools usually run from between one to six weeks. Some focus on cultural experience, while others will focus on specific course related subjects. Every year the programs and the destinations are different and there is no limit in what you can do and achieve!       

Click here for information on available summer programmes abroad!

Erasmus LOGO


The symbol for the Turing scheme

International Experience
St Johns Campus 

Telephone: +44 (0)1905 855146